Fraud Alert: Remove Your Info From Mkt Lists
Remove Your Info From Marketing Lists
- One of the best (and easiest) ways to protect yourself from ID theft and telemarketing fraud is to remove your information from marketing lists.
- Don’t play direct mail sweepstakes or talk to telemarketers.
- Sign up for the National “No Call” List for both your home and cell phones at 1-888-382-1222 or https://www.donotcall.gov/
- Tell phone companies and others with whom you do business to put you on their “DO NOT CALL LISTS” - your right under a Federal Rule established in 1996.
- Contact the credit reporting agencies to “opt out” of unsolicited credit card offers: 1-888-567-8688 or www.optoutprescreen.com (it’s okay to enter your Social Security Number.)
- Call the customer service numbers for your credit card (s) and ask to “OPT OUT” of marketing programs, including “convenience checks.”
- Opt out of e-mail and direct mail by contacting the Direct Marketing Assn. at http://www.dmaconsumers.org/consumerassistance.html, or by writing to Mail Preference Service, P.O. Box 643, Carmel, NY 10512. Include any version of your name used in mailings and your complete address with a letter requesting your name be removed.
- Make an annual charitable giving plan and donate to just a few charities. Ask that your name not be shared with other organizations.
Return to F.A.C.T. Home